Decision Maker: Planning Portfolio Holder's Meeting
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider a number of further Proposed Modifications to the submitted Local Plan currently at independent examination, responding to new Government Guidance, legal advice and new evidence related to the delivery of strategic sites, and issues arising from the Examination.
The Planning Portfolio Holder agreed the following recommendations to Full Council on 17 November 2016:
a) To agree that the Proposed Modifications (Appendix A), including:
i. That the proposal to prepare Area Action Plans for Waterbeach New Town and Bourn Airfield New Village, is replaced by a proposal to produce Supplementary Planning Documents, that the village separation policy wording at sub-section 3 and paragraph 3.37 be refined in the case of Waterbeach, and that necessary and consequential modifications are made to the Local Plan policies,
ii. That changes are proposed to the Bourn Airfield new village Major Development Site boundary in respect of parcels 1, 2, and 5 only as shown on the map attached to Appendix A to the report from the Joint Director for Planning and Economic Development: that parcel 3 be rejected, and that parcel 4 br considered subject to additional wording relating to boundary treatment (such wording to be drafted prior to the meeting of Full Council on 17 November 2016; and
iii. That land south of Cambridge Biomedical Campus as shown on the map attached to Appendix A is allocated as an extension to the employment site allocated in the submitted Cambridge Local Plan;
and the Sustainability Appraisal Screening (Appendix B), subject to any recommended changes by the Portfolio Holder, be submitted to the Inspectors examining the Local Plan;
b) That delegated authority be given to the Joint Director of Planning and Economic Development to propose Modifications in respect to Travelling Showpeople to the examination consistent with the approach set out in paragraphs 51 to 53 of this report, in consultation with the Portfolio Holder. Any material changes to be brought back to Members for consideration;
c) To agree that the documents attached to this report as Appendices C to I are noted and submitted as part of the evidence base for the submitted Local Plan;
d) To note that if recommendation (a)(i) is agreed, a report will be brought to the Planning Portfolio Holder meeting on 13 December 2016 to revise the Local Development Scheme to delete the AAPs and to also consider the most appropriate way to prepare the proposed SPDs;
e) To agree that delegated authority be given to the Joint Director of Planning and Economic Development to make any subsequent minor amendments and editing changes, in consultation with the Planning Portfolio Holder.
The further Proposed Modifications identified are considered necessary to make the Local Plan sound. They respond to the evidence accompanying this report. Producing Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD) as opposed to Area Action Plans (AAP) for the proposed new settlements north of Waterbeach and at Bourn Airfield represents the appropriate approach to providing further planning guidance, based on legal advice, and taking account of recent decisions by the Courts.
a) Agree all or some of the further Proposed Modifications and additional evidence as set out in the report, and the proposed change to produce Supplementary Planning Documents instead of Area Action Plans for consideration by Full Council; or
b) Agree all or some of the further Proposed Modifications and additional evidence, and the proposed change to produce Supplementary Planning Documents instead of Area Action Plans for consideration by Full Council, but with amendments; or
c) Not to agree the further Proposed Modifications and additional evidence, and the proposed change to produce Supplementary Planning Documents instead of Area Action Plans for consideration by Full Council.
1. The recommendation to prepare SPD for the new settlements rather than AAP is expected to result in reduced costs for the Council although it is not possible to quantify this at the present time. If the recommended change is agreed, the financial implications for preparing SPDs will be considered through the forthcoming budget process and at the December Portfolio Holder meeting.
2. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report. Input from the planning barrister representing the Council at the Local Plan examination has been sought on the Proposed Modifications and the matters raised in this report.
3. There are no direct staffing implications arising from this report. The review of the Local Plan has already been included in existing service plans.
4. The Local Plan is a corporate priority and this report identifies proposed modifications considered necessary for the independent Inspectors to find the Plan sound.
Equality and Diversity
5. The Local Plan has been subject to an Equalities Impact Assessment, which demonstrates how potential equalities issues have been, and will be addressed. An update has been prepared as part of the Sustainability Appraisal Screening at Appendix B.
6. The Local Plan supports the delivery of sustainable development and addresses climate change issues consistent with national policy and guidance.
Publication date: 08/11/2016
Date of decision: 08/11/2016
Decided at meeting: 08/11/2016 - Planning Portfolio Holder's Meeting