Venue: Swansley Room A and B - Ground Floor. View directions
Contact: Kathrin John 03450 450 500 Email: email@example.com
Apologies for Absence
To receive apologies for absence from Committee members.
An apology for absence was received from Councillor Dawn Percival, the Vice Chairman of the Committee. Councillor Peter McDonald substituted for Councillor Percival.
In the absence of Councillor Percival, Councillor Dr. Claire Daunton acted in the role of Vice-Chairman for the meeting.
Declarations of Interest
The minutes of the meeting held on 17 January 2019 were agreed as a correct record.
Exclusion of Press and Public
To consider the exclusion of the press and public during consideration of the following item of business on the grounds that consideration is likely to involve the disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 1 and 2 of Part I of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended).
Paragraph 1 relates to information relating to any individual.
Paragraph 2 relates to information which is likely to reveal the identity of an individual.
The Deputy Head of Legal Practice, advised that officers were of the view that the press and public should be excluded from this meeting during the consideration of the following item of business in accordance with the following relevant paragraphs of Part I of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act (as amended):
1. Information relating to any individual.
2. Information which is likely to reveal the identity of an individual.
3. Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the Authority holding that information).
The Committee agreed that the item contained exempt information and that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighed the public interest in disclosing the information.
It was accordingly
That, in accordance with Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.
A copy of a report relating to a confidential employment matter was tabled at the meeting. In order to give Members time to read the contents of the report, the Chairman adjourned the meeting at 3.05pm. The meeting resumed at 3.08pm
The Committee considered the report which set out details of a confidential employment matter. It was confirmed that full Council approval would be required for the recommendations contained in the report
During discussion a number of questions and concerns were raised both by Members of the Committee and other Members of the Council, with the consent of the Chairman. Councillor Bridget Smith, the Leader of the Council, provided further background and context to the matter and to the proposal in the report and responded to Members’ questions.
Mr Gregson responded to Members’ questions and provided further legal advice, particularly in relation to paragraph 10 of the report.
The Head of People and Organisational Development and the Deputy Head of Legal Practice also dealt with Members’ questions and provided further advice upon the matter under consideration.
During the ensuring discussion, some Members indicated their continuing concern regarding the proposal set out in the report.
Councillor Mark Howell moved that the question be now put. Upon being seconded, the procedural motion was approved by affirmation.
Upon being put to the vote, votes were cast as follows:
1. That full Council be recommended to approve the arrangements for the early retirement of the Chief Executive outlined as in the report.
In favour (5)
Councillors Henry Batchelor, Sarah Cheung Johnson, Dr. Claire Daunton, Philippa Hart and Peter McDonald.
Councillors Mark Howell and Peter Topping.
2. That full Council be recommended to appoint Michael John Hill as Interim Chief Executive and, Head of Paid Service, Returning Officer and Electoral Registration Officer, and appointed to all other roles, duties and delegations that are prescribed for the Chief Executive in the Council’s Constitution on an interim basis until a permanent appointment is made. The appointment to be effective from 1 March 2019.
In favour (6)
RECOMMENDED THAT COUNCIL
1. Approve the arrangements for the early retirement of the Chief Executive as outlined in the report.
2. Appoints Michael John Hill as Interim Chief Executive and, Head of Paid Service, Returning Officer and Electoral Registration Officer, and appointed to all other roles, duties and delegations that are prescribed for the Chief Executive in the Council’s Constitution on an interim basis until a permanent appointment is made. The appointment to be effective from 1 March 2019.