Agenda and draft minutes

South Cambs Community Safety Partnership - Tuesday, 12 February 2019 11.15 a.m.

Venue: Storey's Field Centre - Cambridge CB3 1AA. View directions

Contact: Patrick Adams  03450 450 500 Email: democratic.services@scambs.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Introduction and Apologies

Minutes:

Chris Parker, Chairman, welcomed everyone and invited a round of introductions.  It was agreed that a full set of names and roles would be circulated with the minutes: ACTION

2.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

None

3.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Minutes:

The minutes were agreed.

LOOKING BACK

4.

Action Plan Review

Minutes:

GB raised some highlights against each of the 3 priority areas within the plan for 2018-19, as follows, with discussion about a number of issues along the way:

·                Priority 1 – Support Vulnerable Groups

·         The Problem Solving Group (PSG) is a multi-agency group led by Emma Knight to support high demand vulnerable people. 

·         Lots of communications have happened across the entire year on a range of topics, including hate crime and Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence (DASV).

·         SK and PR gave a police briefing to elected members about the Local Policing Review on 27 September 2018.

·         Vulnerability of young people to County Lines: Alter Ego production has been delivered into senior schools.  AB would like links to be made between Taxi Licensing / Taxi Drivers and those vulnerable to County Lines (especially young people).  ACTION

·         The community element of the awareness raising around County Lines is as important as the schools work.

·         AB asked whether the Alter Ego production could be live-streamed in future.  ACTION

·                Priority 2 – Work Together to Tackle Thefts from Homes and Cars

·         The PSG has reintroduced ECINS, a secure system for partnership information sharing used by police.  Training has been delivered and cascaded to all agencies forming part of the PSG.

·         Police video about thefts from cars has been produced and is being used.

·         The Community Safety / Resilience event is planned for Saturday 9 March.

·                Priority 3 – Build Community Resilience

·         The Orchard Park community working group has had several meetings and SCDC has input via EK and another officer, Liz Davy.  Initially set up to address issues of community cohesion stemming from the 2 quite different communities living there, recently the focus has been on working with young people and supporting the Community Council to keep the community centre open. 

·         Comparisons between Orchard Park and Willingham can be drawn, although the drivers are different in Willingham and relate more to the relationship between the settled communities and the component parts of the Gypsy Traveller community.

·         AB and CD: Can the CDRP develop a pack for community problem solving? Names and numbers of the key people in support agencies to address the range of issues. ACTION

·         Training is coming up on enforcement (including at the Community Safety / Resilience day on 9 March).  SK: Constabulary to communicate who is the SPOC for the local area – names and details of local sergeants and officers.

·         SK: PCSO numbers are not reducing.

·         Circulate the LPR document with the local sergeants’ details on. ACTION

·         There is a need to manage community expectations as sergeants will not always be contactable.

5.

Budget Review

Minutes:

KH talked through the 2 areas of the budget.  AB requested that the papers include financial information in future.

·         Pooled Fund
This started the year at £33,113.94

Spend to date is £2,000 – allocated to Cambs County Council for their community protection work.
£19,350 is allocated to the 2 x Domestic Homicide Review (DHR) that are underway for the area.

There is £9,598.94 remaining for future partnership work and / or further DHRs.

·         OPCC Funding
£11,000 including:
£1,000 carry forward for hoarding work (this is being investigated by EK with County)
£5,000 carry forward for Tough Love production (delivered in Sept 2018)
£5,000 2018-19 funding for County Lines production (delivered in Jan 2019)

6.

Community Triggers

Minutes:

·         There have been 3 Community Triggers, none of which were used in the way this mechanism was intended and all of which have involved a high level of mental ill-health.  EK has investigated each one thoroughly and has determined that the agencies involved have taken appropriate, timely and sufficient action to address the issues.

·         The question was asked why the Local Member would not be informed about this when it happens.  The response was that it would depend on the case, the number and type of agencies involved and the confidentiality considerations.

7.

Domestic Homicide Reviews

Minutes:

KH gave an overview of the 2 DHRs underway and the stage they are each at.

LOOKING AHEAD

8.

Strategic Assessment - Leigh Roberts / Jack Ossel pdf icon PDF 1 MB

·         Presentation and discussion of priority-setting

·         Agree content and publication

Minutes:

·         Presentation and Discussion of Priority-Setting

·         JO gave a presentation about the strategic assessment and what the currently available data tells us.  The presentation was praised by AB and CD who both thanked JO and LR for their work.

·         There is currently no police and crime data.  Data is being submitted to the Home Office for Quality Assurance.  The situation should be rectified in the next few months.

·         Summary:

o   This remains a low crime district

o   Serious violence (violence with injury) is potentially up

o   Hate crime / discrimination is evident

o   Recorded ASB is down

o   A spike in deliberate fire-setting appears to have been related to summer holidays and has reduced.  Fire-setting advice to happen in local schools prior to the summer holidays 2019.

o   A&E data for Hinchingbrooke Hospital is missing from the A&E data and this needs to be addressed.

o   There is a challenge to know whether increases are a result of better recording , increased reporting, an increase in incidents, or a combination.

o   Nationally the age of victims of stabbing is getting lower.  In South Cambs this is not the case and the main cohort is males, aged 20-24.  Prevention work should be done with the younger age ranges, however.

·         ‘Violence’ as a priority for 2019-20 is too broad; a subgroup would be more appropriate:

o   Secondary schools interventions regarding County Lines and carrying weapons

o   Communications and awareness-raising

o   Potential flags for County Lines include the absence rate and the number of excluded pupils

·         Domestic Abuse – not increasing but will go up proportionately as the population increases.

·         The Focus Groups and LGBT+ online survey suggested there is a low level of harassment; Gypsy Traveller groups do not feel unsafe but discriminated against; muslim groups feel vulnerable when in traditional dress; those with learning difficulties feel vulnerable to bullying; 16% of LGBT+ respondents said they’d been assaulted as a result of their sexuality.

·         Offending – BeNCH CRC data suggests this is a low-risk area

·         Acquisitive Crime – numbers are low

·         Serious Organised Crime – Less in South Cambs than in previous years, but a national increase.

·         Exploitation – low levels.

·         ASB – this is a broad category and includes a number of different types; Data shows South Cambs is the second lowest district in the County but with a 15% increase in Milton and Waterbeach.

Agree content and publication
The content of the strategic assessment was agreed for publication

9.

Set and Agree Priorities for 2019-20 pdf icon PDF 167 KB

·         Priorities for the 2019-20 CDRP Plan

·         System Leadership proposal OPCC – Chris Parker

Minutes:

·         The below recommendations for 2019-20 were agreed subject to the Development Day (agreed below).  It was agreed that decisions about the actions for the 2019-20 action plan would be delegated to the Tasking and Co-ordination Group

·   Support Vulnerable People – supporting those who are most vulnerable and have the highest risk of being victimised

·   Support Vulnerable Places – supporting communities within South Cambridgeshire to identify their own needs; the better to shape future development.

·         System Leadership proposal OPCC
It was agreed that the CDRP (and its purpose / function) needed to be reviewed and refreshed, including:

·   A move from 2 to 3 meetings per year (2 stakeholder events and 1 development day); look at how DHR are funded. ACTION

10.

Funding 2019-20

The future of the Pooled Fund – Gemma Barron

Delegate 2019-20 funding allocation decisions to T&CG – Chris Parker

Minutes:

·         The Pooled Fund would need to be discussed at the Development Day – there is going to be a cost to County bodies where funding is required across multiple Community Safety Partnerships.

·         MF stated that recommendations need funding and added value is key.

·         Funding allocation decisions were delegated to the T&CG

11.

Pre-brief for joint working meeting with City CSP - Chris Parker

Minutes:

·         The Chair summarised the purpose of the joint working meeting and how the City CSP had already had a Development Day looking at a ‘Transformation Project’ to fit in with the OPCC proposal.

12.

Date of Next Meeting

Minutes:

This was not agreed but it was agreed to hold a Development Day as soon as possible.

ACTIONS

No.

ACTION

BY WHOM

BY WHEN

1

Circulate membership, with roles

KH

05/04

2

Consider Taxi Licensing re: County Lines at 2019-20 Action Plan development stage

T&CG

03/04

3

Enquire whether live-streaming of Alter Ego production/s would be possible.

KH

03/04

4

Explore the idea of a Community Problem-Solving pack

T&CG

03/04

5

Circulate LPR paper with up to date sergeants’ details on

KH

05/04

6

Organise Development Day

KH / GB

Arranged.

 

JOINT BRIEFING WITH SOUTH CAMBRIDGESHIRE CRIME AND DISORDER REDUCTION PARTNERSHIP

Joint briefing with South Cambridgeshire Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership (CDRP)

Present for the joint briefing were Members of the Cambridge Community Safety

Partnership and Members of the South Cambridgeshire Crime and Disorder Reduction

Partnership (CDRP) with * indicating being a Member of both Partnerships:

 

Cambridge Community Safety PartnershipBoard

Debbie Kaye (Chair)         Cambridge City Council (Community Services)

*Paul Clarke (Vice Chair)Cambridgeshire Fire & Rescue Service

Clare Cook                         (Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire & Hertfordshire Community Rehabilitation Company Limited (BeNCH CRC Ltd))

*Mark Freeman                 Cambridge Council For  Voluntary Service

*Steve Kerridge                 Cambridgeshire Constabulary

Nicky Massey                    Cambridge City Council

 

Members

Lynda Kilkelly                    Cambridge City Council (Community Services)

James Morgan                  Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

*Leigh Roberts                   Cambridgeshire County Council Research Group

Louise Walker (Minutes)  Cambridge City Council (Safer Communities Section)

 

In Attendance

Ray Bisby                           Cambridgeshire Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner

Rachel Phelps                   Local Government Association

 

South Cambridgeshire Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership (CDRP)

Chris Parker (Chair)         Cambridgeshire Fire & Rescue Service

Anna Bradnam                 South Cambridgeshire District Councillor

Claire Daunton                 South Cambridgeshire District Councillor

Elaine Matthews              Cambridgeshire County Council

Jack Ossel                         Cambridgeshire County Council Research Group

 

South Cambridgeshire District Council Officers:

Gemma Barron               Head of Sustainable Communities and Wellbeing

Kathryn Hawkes             Development Officer

 

1.         Welcome, housekeeping and introductions

1.1     The Chair, Debbie Kaye, welcomed everyone and set the context for the joint briefing

with the opportunity to discuss closer working.

 

 

2           Presentation: Cambridge CSP (CCSP) Proposed Structure

2.1       Lynda Kilkelly spoke to the paper presented and provided the background to the 

CCSP proposed new structure, which had been discussed at the annual Cambridge CSP Development Day in December. Dorothy Gregson, Chief Executive Cambridgeshire Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPPC), also presented a proposal at the Development Day on managing demand countywide. A CCSP task and finish group developed the proposed new structure for the partnership which would deliver targeted work taking into account the decisions made at the development day and incorporating the aims of the OPPC to manage demand across the county. It is also proposed to establish a Multi-Agency Steering Group, which will oversee the business as usual operational groups. In addition, the focus will move to a Transformation Topic, with the aim to reduce demand and work on prevention utilising the opportunities and expertise available countywide.

 

2.2       Steve Kerridge provided more detail about the Police led Multi-Agency Steering Group

and the Transformation Topic of Serious Violence – young people and knife crime. He said that there were common threads of issues across the county as well as different challenges for the districts. He added that the proposed structure enabled an opportunity for closer working with South Cambridgeshire and the need to look ahead at behaviours of young people as potential victims as well as being drawn into criminal activity. He reported that the three Cambridge CSP priorities would not change for 2019/20 and would be; safeguarding people against violence and exploitation, identifying and responding to vulnerable locations, and domestic abuse.

 

3.      The Chair thanked Lynda Kilkelly and Steve Kerridge for their presentation and asked

         table groups to discuss the proposal and then to share ideas with the joint meeting.

        

4.       The table groups shared their feedback, which included:

 

-             The importance of education and understanding prevention to control risk.

 

-             How to make the best use of resources and communication tools.

 

-             Opportunities for working closer together such as the South Cambridgeshire

      Co-ordination Group could meet with the new Multi-Agency Steering Group to 

      share ideas and issues.

 

-             Community resilience has to be invested in as there is a huge cost if a person 

      enters the criminal justice system.

 

-             Steve Kerridge reported that Norfolk, where Cambridgeshire Police Chief

      Constable Nick Dean came from, has only one CSP which the county could

      examine as a model.

 

-             The Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner, Ray Bisby, said that he had 

      attended the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners and that the 

      government is looking at the way CSPs work. Cambridgeshire and 

      Peterborough has been noted for its activity as many other areas do not have 

      health or probation represented on their Boards. Also noted is that the level of 

 educational exclusions are at a lower level in the county compared with other  

 areas, which reduces the risk of a young  person being a victim or involved in

 

criminal activity.

 

5.       The Chair thanked everyone for their contributions and closed the joint meeting.