1. The purpose of this decision is to agree on the proposed designation of the parish of Orwell as a Neighbourhood Area (NA). (See Appendix A – the application submitted by Orwell Parish Council including map (PC)).
2. A NA must be designated before a PC can prepare a Neighbourhood Plan (NP). There are national regulations guiding how this designation should be carried out which were revised in February 2015 and in October 2016.
3. The 2016 revision to the regulations state that a local planning authority must designate a neighbourhood area if it receives a valid application and some or all of the area has not yet been designated (see section 61G(5) of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 Act as applied to Neighbourhood plans by section 38A of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004). Where a parish council has applied for the whole of their parish to be designated the local planning authority must designate all of the area applied for.
4. A valid neighbourhood area application is one where a ‘relevant body’ has submitted an application to the local planning authority that must include:
· a map which identifies the area to which the area application relates
· a statement explaining why this area is considered appropriate to be designated as a neighbourhood area; and
· a statement that the organisation or body making the area application is a relevant body for the purposes of section 61G of the 1990 Act
The application from Orwell Parish Council
5. The application from Orwell Parish Council is for the whole of their parish to be designated as a neighbourhood area. None of this area has been previously designated for neighbourhood planning purposes and the application includes all the information required
Consideration by South Cambridgeshire District Council
6. South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC) is supportive of Orwell PC preparing a NP for its parish and keen for the two councils to work together in considering the future development of the area. SCDC is aware that by preparing a NP the PC aims to play a key role alongside SCDC in shaping the future of the village.
7. SCDC considers that the application submitted by Orwell Parish Council is valid and therefore that the parish of Orwell should be designated as a neighbourhood area.
Local Development Scheme
8. The Local Development Scheme (LDS) sets out the planning documents that SCDC and Cambridge City Council proposes to prepare. A section in the LDS lists the neighbourhood areas designated within the Greater Cambridge area. As Orwell NA is being recommended for designation it is proposed that an amendment be made to the section of the LDS when it is next reviewed.
 In South Cambridgeshire the relevant body this is a parish council
Decision type: Non-key
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Wards affected: Barrington;
Notice of proposed decision first published: 17/06/2022
Decision due: 17 June 2022 by Joint Director for Planning and Economic Development
Lead member: Lead Cabinet member for Planning
Lead director: Joint Director for Planning and Economic Development
Department: Greater Cambridge Shared Planning
Contact: Alison Talkington, Senior Planning Policy Officer 01954 713182 / mobile 07514 926521 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01954 713182.
Purpose of Report: Appendix Appendix A: Application from Orwell Parish Council for the designation of their parish as a neighbourhood area for preparing a neighbourhood plan. Background documents National Planning Practice Guidance – Neighbourhood Planning; • Designating a neighbourhood area Cabinet Meeting (July 2018) – Neighbourhood Planning decision making process: http://scambs.moderngov.co.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=293&MId=7343