Outside body

Conservators of the River Cam

Description

The Conservators are a corporate body created by statute in 1702.  The Conservators are given powers to maintain the navigation on that part of the River Cam between Bottisham Lock in the north to Newnham Mill in the south ie the former millpit at Newnham adjacent to the Granta Public House.  Responsibility for land drainage, flood control and water quality rests with the Environment Agency, with whom the Conservators work closely.  There are 13 Conservators appointed by the City Council (7), the County Council (1), the Environment Agency (2) and the Senate of the University (3).  The Conservators appoint an Observer from South Cambridgeshire: this is a non-voting position and is most logical to suggest a member whose parish includes the River Cam north of Cambridge.  The Observer would be asked to attend about 4 meetings a year. 

 

Recommendations are made by annual Council for up to four years or until the end of the appointee's term of office, whichever is sooner and the Observer is appointed by the Conservators.

 

The normal work of the Conservators' staff includes:

·         River weed cutting and clearing

·         Tree lopping and topping, on the Haling Way (and elsewhere)

·         Bank repairs and grass cutting

·         Clearing of rubbish around King's Mill and the towpath, collecting same at Jesus Green Lock in barges, towing it to Clayhithe and taking it to the rubbish tip

·         Checking boat registrations

·         General maintenance of locks, banks, machinery and properties and working boats

Contact information

Contact:
Dr Philippa E. Noon, River Manager
01223 863785

Address:
Baits Bite Lock
Fen Road
Milton
Cambridge
CB24 6AF

Phone: 01223 863785

Fax: 01223 863785

Website: http://www.camconservators.org.uk

South Cambridgeshire District Council is not responsible for the content of any external link

Our representatives