Agenda

Council - Thursday, 24 September 2020 2.00 p.m.

Venue: Virtual meeting - Online. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services  03450 450 500 Email: democratic.services@scambs.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies

To receive Apologies for Absence from Members.

2.

Declaration of Interest

3.

Register of Interests

Members are requested to inform Democratic Services of any changes in their Register of Members’ Financial and Other Interests form.

4.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 351 KB

To authorise the Chair to sign the Minutes of the meeting held on the 14 July 2020 as a correct record.

5.

Announcements

To receive any announcements from the Chair, Leader, the executive or the head of paid service.

6.

Questions From the Public

To answer any questions asked by the public.

 

The deadline for receipt of public questions is noon on Thursday, 17 September 2020.

 

The Council’s scheme for public speaking at remote meetings may be inspected here:

 

Public Questions at Remote Meetings 

6a

From Daniel Fulton pdf icon PDF 95 KB

"Does the Leader of the Council agree that public officers should discharge their duties on behalf of the Council in a manner consistent with the rule of law?”

7.

Petitions

To note all petitions received since the last Council meeting.

8.

To consider the following recommendations:

8a

2019/2020 Provisional General Fund Revenue and Capital Outturn (Cabinet 2 September 2020) pdf icon PDF 347 KB

Cabinet recommended to Council:

 

1.    A General Fund Revenue Carry Forward in the sum of £30,000.

2.    In relation to the Capital Programme:

a.     The carry forward of £2.801 million in relation to General Fund capital projects due mainly to slippage.

b.    Additional funding of £105,000 from earmarked reserves to meet the expected cost of the Lighting renewal programme.

 

8b

Housing Revenue Account (HRA) Revenue and Capital Budget Provisional Outturn 2019/2020 (Cabinet 2 September 2020) pdf icon PDF 270 KB

Cabinet recommended to Council:

 

1)    The Housing Revenue Account Revenue Budget Carry Forwards in the sum of £0.020 million, in relation to tenant participation.

2)    In relation to the Capital Programme:

a.    The carry forwards to 2020/21 of £1.611 million in relation to HRA Housing improvements due mainly to slippage.

b.    The bringing forward of £1.530 million from 2020/21 in relation to HRA housebuilding during 2019/20, due to works being ahead of expectations.

9.

Annual Pay Award 2020/21 pdf icon PDF 160 KB

Council is invited to approve an additional 0.75% to all spinal column points of the pay grade.

10.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority pdf icon PDF 496 KB

Attached are the reports summarising the work of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority from June-August 2020.

11.

Membership of Cabinet, Committees and Outside Bodies

Council is invited to consider:

·         Appointments of Peter Campbell and Jeff Membery as Directors of the Council’s housing company, Ermine Street Housing Ltd, alongside their roles as Head of Housing and Head of Transformation respectively.

·         Appointment of Councillor Pippa Heylings to the outside body - Natural Cambridgeshire.

12.

Urgent Executive Decisions pdf icon PDF 198 KB

To provide an information report on an urgent decision which was exempted from call-in under Scrutiny and Overview Procedure Rules 13.19 – 13.21.

13.

Questions From Councillors

A period of 30 minutes will be allowed for this item to include those questions where notice has been provided (as set out in the agenda below) and questions which may be asked without notice.

 

Members wishing to ask a question without notice should indicate this intention to Democratic Services prior to commencement of the meeting. Members’ names will be drawn at random by the Chair until there are no further questions or until the expiration of the time period.

13a

From Cllr Graham Cone

When will the Council make a decision on which site we will back for the relocation of the Water Treatment Plant?

13b

From Cllr Sue Ellington

Can the leader outline the source of the IT issue or issues which led to the significant outage experienced during  August and the steps which have been taken to mitigate the risk of a similar occurrence impacting council business or services in the future? 

13c

From Cllr Mark Howell

What progress is being made in replacing the vehicles/lorries in the shared waste service with electric alternatives?

13d

From Cllr Heather Williams

Will the Lead Cabinet Member for planning confirm how many incidents of developers gaining ‘Deemed Discharge of condition’ there have been in the last 12 months?

13e

From Cllr Nick Wright

Visit Cambridge and beyond has been forced into liquidation. 40% of its membership were South Cambs businesses. Can the Leader state how this administration will support those businesses in the future?

13f

From Cllr Sarah Cheung Johnson

Please could we get an update on the grant status for business? Have we had feedback from businesses?

13g

From Cllr Claire Daunton

Could the Lead Member for Housing please provide an update on the effect of Covid-19, and consequent lockdown, on housing maintenance?

13h

From Cllr Pippa Heylings

How will the Leader respond to the Government's planning reforms that propose to both scrap S106 obligations and exempt developers from providing affordable housing on sites of 50 houses or less?

13i

From Cllr Geoff Harvey

Given the view of public health experts is that the likelihood of a second wave of Covid-19 infection has increased significantly over recent weeks, will the Leader explain what measures are in place or can be put in place to both protect the our residents and support our local businesses?

14.

Notices of Motion

A period of 30 minutes will be allowed for each Motion to be moved, seconded and debated, including dealing with any amendments. At the expiry of the 30 minute period, debate shall cease immediately, the mover of the original Motion, or if the original Motion has been amended, the mover of that amendment now forming part of the substantive motion, will have the right of reply before it is put to the vote.

14a

Standing in the name of Cllr Heather Williams

Council expresses deep concern that:

 

·         Trades Union Congress (TUC) research revealed nearly half of workers had witnessed bullying at their workplace.  https://www.tuc.org.uk/resource/bullying-work

·         Female employees are more likely to be victims of bullying than males. https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/Bullying%20at%20Work%202019.pdf

 

Council notes that:

 

·         16th to 20th? November 2020 is Anti-Bullying Week, organised by the Anti-Bullying Alliance.

·         The theme of this year’s Anti-Bullying Week is ‘United against bullying’.

·         The Anti-Bullying Alliance’s definition of bullying is: ?“the repetitive, intentional hurting of one person or group by another person or group, where the relationship involves an imbalance of power. It can happen face to face or online”?.

·         Bullying behaviour can be done by an individual or by a group, and can be physical, verbal, emotional, sexual or online.

 

Council resolves:

 

·         That bullying in any form, by any group or individual, in any walk of life, is unacceptable.

·         To adopt the Anti-Bullying Alliance’s definition of bullying.

·         That as councillors we should lead by example in our actions and interactions, and will support efforts in our communities to highlight and end bullying. We will further demonstrate this by asking members to sign a pledge that we will refrain from bullying behaviour.

·         That once signed these pledges will be displayed on councillors’ official Council website profiles to show that we take bullying seriously and are determined to stand up for our communities.

·         To launch a review to ensure that for Council colleagues and our residents, there is clear signposting to helplines and support groups- such as Childline, ACAS, Citizens Advice Bureau, Bullying UK, and others.

14b

Standing in the Name of Cllr Richard Williams

South Cambridgeshire District Council recognises that illegal parking is a serious problem for many communities in our district. This council commits to tackling this problem and will explore the options available to us, as an authority, to assume the responsibility of civil parking enforcement, in common with over 9 in 10 local authority areas in England.

14c

Standing in the Name of Cllr Bunty Waters

Following residents contacting myself with concerns in relation to fireworks, I researched the topic and found helpful support from the RSPCA on how we as councillors could help. And with this in mind I would like to propose the motion below:

 

·         Once the Council becomes aware that a public firework display is to be held within the local authority boundary, to write to the event holder asking for it to be advertised in advance of the event, in such a way as to allow residents to take precautions for their animals and vulnerable people 

·         To actively promote a public awareness campaign about the impact of fireworks on animal welfare and vulnerable people including the precautions that can be taken to mitigate risks by committing to sharing suitable RSPCA content on social media about the impact on welfare and vulnerable people

·         To write to the UK Government urging them to investigate legislation to limit the maximum noise level of fireworks to 90dB for those sold to the public for private display

·         To contact the RSPCA asking for contact details of known local suppliers of fireworks and to thereafter write to any known local supplier to stock ‘quieter’ fireworks for public display.

14d

Standing in the Name of Cllr Geoff Harvey

Our recently adopted Zero Carbon Strategy highlights the need for a fundamental change in how we generate and consume energy in all aspects of our lives. Both electricity generation and distribution are undergoing rapid evolution, in both shape and scale. The distribution grid, must now cope with power flows in both directions and South Cambridgeshire is at the limit of renewable generation capacity for that reason. In scale, electrification of heat and transport will require a quadrupling of  electricity capacity. Local, community-based energy schemes can make a significant contribution to addressing both issues and encourage a sense of local empowerment to tackle climate change. Community schemes encourage local generation and storage to match local demand thus relieving pressure on the grid. Local schemes would be given new impetus and be able to contribute more renewable energy if local people could buy their electricity directly from local suppliers. But the disproportionate cost of meeting regulatory approvals makes it impossible to be a local energy supplier at a local scale and so, under the current system, this local energy gets sold back to the central grid.

 

The Local Electricity Bill is a private members’ bill with cross-party support that was introduced unopposed in June 2020. If this Bill was passed in Parliament it would give the energy regulator, OFGEM, a duty to create a Right to Local Supply. This would enable local community energy groups to achieve their vision of supplying generated energy back to the local area, help us as a Council to meet our carbon reduction aspirations for the district,and also bring multiple benefits to the local community. It is supported by many stakeholders, local authorities, and town councils (including Cambourne) and currently has the backing of 198 MPs. 

 

This Council

- resolves to support the Bill,

- authorises the Leader to contact our MPs to discuss their support for the Bill and how they can enable its passage into law

- authorises the Chief Executive to write to the Minister of State for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy, supporting the aims of the Bill and asking for these aims to be taken into account in the forthcoming Energy White Paper.

15.

Chairman's Engagements

To note the Chairman’s engagements since the last Council meeting:

 

Date

Venue/Event

Attended by

Sun 13 September

Institution and Introduction of the new Rector of Girton and Vicar of Madingley

Chair

 

16.

Exclusion of Press and Public

The press and public are likely to be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item in accordance with the provisions of Section 100(a)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 (exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Schedule 12A (as amended) of the Act).

17.

Minutes (exempt)

A minute containing exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part I of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended) has been circulated to Members of the Council only.  The press and public are likely to be excluded from the meeting during any discussion on the accuracy of the exempt minute.